Tuesday, February 7, 2012

White Bean Salad


Nine times out of 10, I plan our dinner while at work.  A craving will hit, and I'll go with it.  I sometimes consult Adam, but it's always the same answer, "I don't know. What do you want?"  So, then I take things into my own hands and plan our evening.

Yesterday, about 10 a.m., I started craving a burger.  It was settled, burgers it would be.  Then it was on to the sides.  Adam loves onion rings so they made the cut.  I wanted some kind of salad, but I was just about sick of lettuce so I decided that a vegetable salad would be a nice change of pace.  And it was even better that I could make a great salad by just cleaning out the pantry and refrigerator. 

White Bean Salad

1 15 oz. can white beans, drained and rinsed
1 small can sliced black olives, drained
1 medium tomato chopped
2 green onions, sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
Italian Dressing, recipe follows

Mix first 5 ingredients in a large bowl.  Spoon 3 or 4 teaspoons of the italian dressing over veggies.  Let sit for 30 minutes before serving.

Italian Dressing

1 cup vegetable oil
2/3 red wine vinegar
3 garlic homes, coarsley chopped
1/4 tsp. whole peppercorns
1/4 tsp. each of dried oregano, basil, thyme and red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 cup parmesan cheese

Put all ingredients into the bowl of a food processor and whirl until mixture is smooth.

No comments: