Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Super Bowl Party


Since we've moved into our awesome new and roomy house, we have had several parties for various occasions.  We've had a football party, two baby showers, a few family dinners and most recently, a Super Bowl party. The party yesterday was slightly more subdued than the college football party, but definitely more rowdy than the baby showers.  For a Sunday night, it was the perfect crowd with the right amount of energy.

Obviously I can't throw a party without making an abundance of food.  Our friends are really, really great and always bring something to add to the food table.  I feel it's the hosts' duty to provide the majority of dishes, but a few extras peppered in adds to the fun of tailgating pot luck.  I mean, one of our friends smoked a pork but for 10 hours. Now that's generous and not to mention, delicious.

My contribution was a mixture of old favorites and new recipes.  Ina always says not to try out new recipes when you're having a party, but mom thinks that's the best time to try something new.  I trust mom.  So I made our usual suspects...Buffalo chicken dip (Adam wouldn't show his face if that wasn't on the table) and pepperoni pizza bites (another of Adam's favs).  As for the new guys, I chose a spinach and feta dip and cheesy jalapeno pull  bread.  And can I say, both were incredible.  I also bought some lobster dip from Costco that was an impulse buy after the free taste test.  I swear it's good!

I have to say the cheesy jalapeno pull bread was fabulous, but the spinach and feta dip was so unexpected.  I mean, how can you pass up a recipe that amps up regular spinach dip with FETA?!?!  Feta is a huge weakness for me, and let me tell you it didn't disappoint.  The empty bowl was proof enough for me.

Spinach and Feta Dip

2 cloves garlic, coarsly chopped
3/4 cup reduced fat mayo
3/4 cup reduced fat sour cream
4 oz. crumbled feta cheese
zest from half a lemon
a liberal squeeze of the half lemon
one box of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
salt and pepper to taste

In the bowl of a food processor, add the chopped garlic, mayo, sour cream, feta, zest and lemon juice.  Process until smooth.  Transfer the mixture to a bowl, stir in spinach and season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.  Serve with carrots and pita chips or crackers.

No comments: